

This weekend Isabelle's cousin Emily came to visit her. Emily is 7 and came up on the airplane all by herself. It was quite the big event for her and us as we haven't seen Emily since June. Isabelle adored Emily and Emily adored Isabelle. It was quite wonderful to see them together, although it made me a little sad that they do not get to see each other more often. I think we are going to try and set up regular visits for Emily so that she gets to know her cousin better and can be an important element in her little life.
Isabelle is getting more and more mobile each day. She now regularly pulls herself up onto her knees (note to self: she can now grab verboten items off the coffee table) and on occasion can get herself onto her feet. Although this is usually in some sort of downward-dog type position, which doesn't last very long before the baby topples over. She also had a propensity to seek out electrical cords...
Is there a way to truly baby proof your house short of living in a padded cell? I am starting to think there is not. Despite our best efforts she seems to grab something pointy or dangerous, to a small person, on a regular basis. Sigh....and so the struggle goes on.
She is also starting to eat regular foods. It started with small pieces of cheese, which she LOVES, and has progressed to peas, rice, bananas and tortellini. All of which means, today we invested in a drop cloth. I am quite amazed at how much food can get in her hair, pants and high chair. I see one of those trough-like bibs in her future, you know the ones where the baby can just scoop the "left overs" out of it for a continued meal? What a brilliant invention.
In other news, her newest favorite toy is the cat toy. It's from the Sharper Image, its a remote control mouse with a dangling fuzzy mouse that trails behind it. Stuffing the fuzzy mouse into her maw seems to endlessly entertain ITL, but the more comical part is the chase for the mouse itself. She will crawl all over the kitchen chasing the mouse and pummels it when she catches it. I am starting to think having a middle name that means "lion" was fortuitous for sure.


Update: in very recent (i.e., yesterday) developmental news Isabelle is now really starting to pull herself up onto things. She can now get to her feet standing in her crib and on the outside of the bathtub and on various climbable items around the house. Speaking of the bathtub, last night I put a mirror in the side of it (knowing how much she enjoys interacting with the cute baby in the mirror) and you would have thought I created a baby-fun-house. She splashed and squealed and smiled and laughed at herself in the mirror. By the time I was ready to rinse her, I didn't need a bath because I was soaked, just from sitting on the outside of the tub. It just amazes me so much how little things make her so happy. And how seeing her happy fills my heart.

0 comments:
Post a Comment